Thursday, October 11, 2012

♫ money, money, money.... MON-EY ♫

It’s day four. That means we made it through the historically terrible day three unscathed, our bodies are free of nicotine, and the physical addiction is gone. Now it’s just the mental habit that needs to be broken!


I’ve kept a brave face this time, not being overly talkative about how difficult of a time I’m actually having, but it’s been rough. Nick is having a tough time too, and I have a lot of coworkers that smoke. Since I don’t want to deter Nick, and I don’t want to sound self-righteous,  I’ve been trying to be as chipper as possible. They’re all probably starting to wonder who this weirdo is that’s inhabited my body, but no matter, I’ll just keep talking too much and too fast, clicking my pens, and chomping away at my candy when the nausea strikes.
So far, I have also been trying to eat lighter meals to avoid the “over-full” cravings that strike after a large meal. Last night though, I was out with some friends having an amazing time and a whole lot of laughs, and I lost track. It was one of those meals where you’re talking so much and having such a great time that you almost don’t even realize how much you’re eating until it hits you… that terrible, I’m over stuffed and might as well be rolled home feeling. I wanted to smoke so badly, but I didn’t!
Once I got home and was lying in bed, I got that unbearable restless feeling that comes from the anxiety. I was tossing and turning, thinking about how much I have to do to prepare for Saturday, how I should have stopped after the appetizer that evening, and wishing I could smoke and shut it all off. So instead of smoking, I did some mental math, and over the course of our relapse, Nick and I spent about $4,800 on cigarettes… YES, $4,800! Between now and the wedding, that equates to almost $2,000 saved. And if prices stayed the same over the course of a 30 year mortgage (which we know they won’t), that would be an extra $117,000! There are many obvious reasons to keep this going, but that in itself is motivation enough!



No comments:

Post a Comment